This Roasted Potato, Mushroom, and Lentil Kale Salad makes the ultimate filling salad. A beautiful vegetarian main course that makes amazing leftovers! Vegan and gluten-free.
If I were to be reincarnated as a salad and it happened to be twenty degrees outside, I would surely be re-birthed as this beaut.
It just speaks my language.
It’s kale, yes, but it’s the best version of kale. It’s not a vegetable you’ll want to ignore! We’re talking rustic and simple, cozy, elegant, and downright delectable salad that doubles as a full meal. Because there’s nothing worse than the veg option being a boring salad.
The world doesn’t need another boring kale salad!
This gem will impress herbies and carnivores alike. Like my vegan lasagna. The vegan-ness is simply an afterthought, overshadowed by its straight deliciousness.
And if you’ve never had roasted potatoes nestled in a salad, you’re in for quite a treat. So much crispiness!!
Isn’t there something magical about rosemary…the way it smells? The way it tastes? It gives me all the fall feels.
If you’re one of those bad eggs that loathes rosemary, you can go eat some pumpkin pie bars while we all swan dive into the land of love lettuce that is this salad. But seriously…you can also just leave the rosemary out and it’ll still taste divine.
When I eat salad, I like it to be complete. I don’t want mixed greens with balsamic and cucumbers. I want fiber and protein and crunch and PIZZAZZ! This salad has sass. A salad after my own heart.
With high-protein lentils (I like the pre-cooked one from Trader Joe’s!), brain-boosting walnuts, earthy shrooms and taters, and aromatic rosemary, this dish is just dripping with all the fantastic adjectives.
When Hummusapien gives you a great excuse to eat potatoes and call it salad, you take it and you run with it. Run far, far away.
This rustic Rosemary Roasted Potato, Mushroom, and Lentil Kale Salad with tangy shallot dressing makes the ultimate filling salad. A beautiful vegetarian main course that makes amazing lunch leftovers!
For the roasted vegetables:
- 3 small to medium russet potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped rosemary (optional, still tastes great without it!)
- 1–2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
For the salad:
- 2 bunches kale (I like lacinato), stems removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked lentils (I used Trader Joe’s pre-cooked)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup champagne wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place chopped potatoes in large bowl with rosemary, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat then dump potatoes on baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes (or until tender), stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and add sliced mushrooms and walnuts. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until everything is browned.
- Meanwhile, place dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor (I used my Nutribullet) and blend until smooth.
- Dump kale into a large bowl. Add dressing and massage into leaves for about a minute (if using lacinato, massaging is not necessary) to break down kale. Add lentils and potato mixture. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Store any leftovers in the fridge–this salad tastes great the next day!