The most magical Whole Wheat Pancakes Recipe for cozy Sunday mornings! Oh so fluffy 100% whole grain goodness made for maple syrup.
We gettin’ fluffy up in heeeyaaaaa.
You know those Sunday mornings at home when you feel you’ve made it to the peak of the week, that special bubble of a day where society allows you to be a sloth, and you’re like “hell no am I having a boring breakfast this morning.”
Well that’s me every Sunday.
I want to either go out for brunch or I want to slam some SERIOUS pancakes. Or shakshuka. Gahhhh it’s like picking a favorite child!
Whether I’m repping sweet or savory, I mean brunch business.
Now let’s talk fluff factor
How to Make Fluffy Pancakes
- Baking powder. We’ve got a hefty 3 1/2 teaspoons here for ultimate fluffiness!
- Whole wheat pastry flour. It’s a bit lighter than regular whole whet flour, in my opinion. You could also use all-purpose flour or a mix of the two.
- A hot oiled/buttered skillet. When you put a drop of water on the skillet, it should sizzle. You want the pan hot enough that you’ll get that nice browning but not so hot that the exterior burns. Medium heat or a bit below should be perfect.
- THICK batter. I always use a higher ratio of flour to liquid for thick and fluffy pancakes.
- Not over-mixing the batter. Lumps are your friend! Over-mixing means overworking the wheat protein (gluten) which leads to dense, chewy pancakes.
How to Reheat and Freeze Pancakes
These reheat and freeze beautifully. Make a batch on Sunday and refrigerate them in an air-tight container for easy, healthy breakfasts all week. Simply pop them in the toaster or microwave for 20-30 seconds to warm up before serving.
To freeze these whole wheat pancakes, lay them in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the freezer. Once they’re frozen, transfer to a baggie and store for up to two months. Freezing them flat prevents them from sticking together once frozen.
You can reheat them from frozen in the toaster!
Did you try this this magical pancake recipe and love it? Let me know by leaving a star rating and/or comment!
CRAVING MORE MORNING GOODNESS? DON’T MISS MY OTHER GO-TO BREAKFAST RECIPES:
GRAB A FORK, YO.
The most magical Whole Wheat Pancakes Recipe for cozy Sunday mornings! Oh so fluffy 100% whole grain goodness meant for maple syrup.
- Melt butter in 20 second intervals in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Measure milk in a liquid measuring cup. Add egg and melted butter and whisk until smooth. Pour into dry ingredients and mix just until combined, being careful not to over-mix the batter. Lumps are ok.
- Warm a pat of butter or oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1/3 cup of batter to skillet, repeating as needed. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping once bubbles start to form and cooking 1-2 minutes or until golden. (If you want to add chocolate chips, blueberries, or apples, add to each pancake before flipping.)
- Devour warm with a drizzle of pure maple syrup and a giant cup of coffee!